Pages

Monday, November 9, 2020

Gold Leaves a Fall Devotional by GK Chesterton






 Every so often I do a deep read with a particular well-known Author and GK Chesterton has been on my next list for some time. I have found in favorite cozy comfort mysteries such as Father Brown and with his friends such as Dorothy Sayers in their mystery writers club. However, I had not discovered Chesterton as a poet and Hoopla Digital allowed me this little visit into an out of print Chesterton Calendar quote and its more current version on an Imaginative Conservative blog.

Essentially this is the view from our front yard and daily news.

“Gold Leaves”
By G.K. Chesterton|November 4th, 2017|Categories: G.K. Chesterton, Poetry
Gold leaves! I come to autumn,
When all the leaves are gold;
Grey hairs and golden leaves cry out
The year and I are old.
In youth, I sought the prince of men,
Captain in cosmic wars,
Our Titan, even the weeds would show
Defiant, to the stars.
But now a great thing in the street
Seems any human nod,
Where shift in strange democracy
The million masks of God.
In youth, I sought the golden flower
Hidden in wood or wold,
But I come to autumn,
When all the leaves are gold.

Books on the topic of this poem may be found in The Imaginative Conservative Bookstore.

No comments: